17 August 2021: The Current Affairs Quiz section of Jagranjosh aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise Current Affairs of the day at ease. The day’s updated Current Affairs quizzes cover topics such as RBI’s first financial inclusion index 2021, world’s second largest refurbished gene bank and ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 among others.
1. Which nation announced a snap national lockdown after one locally transmitted COVID case was detected in the nation in six months?
a) South Korea
b) New Zealand
2. Union External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar will be presiding over two high-level UNSC meetings in which city?
b) New York
3. The world’s second largest refurbished gene bank has been established in which nation?
a) Sri Laka
4. What is the reading of RBI’s first financial inclusion index 2021?
5. A wildfire broke out in which nation on August 16, 2021?
6. Komalika Bari has become the new under-21 world champion at the Youth World Championships in which sport?
7. The death of Cherishterfield Thangkhiew has caused upheaval in which north-eastern state?
8. When will ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 begin?
a) October 15th
b) October 16th
c) October 17th
d) October 18th
- (b) New Zealand
New Zealand on August 17, 2021 recorded its first locally transmitted case of Covid-19 in six months. This immediately led the New Zealand government to impose a three-day snap national lockdown.
- (b) New York
External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar on August 17, 2021, reached New York to preside over two high-level signature events of the United Nations (UN) during India’s presidency of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- (b) India
The Union Minister for Agriculture and Famers Welfare Narendra Singh Tomar on August 16, 2021, inaugurated the world’s second-largest refurbished state-of-the-art National Gene Bank at the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources, Pusa in New Delhi.
- (a) 53.9
The Reserve Bank of India on August 17, 2021 introduced its first financial inclusion index to measure and improve the extent of financial inclusion in the country. The annual Financial Inclusion (FI) Index’s first reading for the period ending March 2021 has come in at 53.9 as against 43.4 for the period ending March 2017.
- (a) France
A quick-spreading wildfire broke out in France on August 16, 2021, about 100 km from the Mediterranean City Toulan, has already razed more than 3,500 hectares of forest and scrub land as of the morning of August 17.
- (a) Archery
Komalika Bari has become the new under-21 recurve world champion in archery at the Youth World Championships in Wroclaw, Poland on August 15, 2021. India’s Junior recurve archers also bagged gold in the men’s and the mixed team event.
- (c) Meghalaya
The death of Cherishterfield Thangkhiew, a former militant of the outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), during a police operation, has caused upheaval in Meghalaya. The state’s capital, Shillong witnessed arson, stone pelting and vandalism on August 15, 2021 and has been put under curfew till August 18, 2021.
- (c) October 17th
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on June 29, 2021 confirmed that the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 will be staged in the UAE and Oman due to the current COVID-19 situation in India. The tournament will be held from October 17 till November 14 across three venues primarily- Sharjah Stadium, Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi and the Dubai International Stadium.