Virbhadra Singh was under treatment at IGMC, Shimla due to corona infection again.
Former Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister and senior Congress leader Virbhadra Singh has passed away due to corona infection. He breathed his last at 3.40 am on Thursday. His death was confirmed by Dr. Janak Raj, MS, Indira Gandhi Medical College Hospital. On the other hand, Himachal government has declared three days state mourning in the state on the death of the former Chief Minister. There will be no major events in the state during these three days.
He was found to be suffering from corona virus twice on 12 April and 11 June, after which his health started deteriorating frequently. 87-year-old Virbhadra Singh was under treatment at Shimla’s IGMC due to corona infection again. He was admitted to IGMC for two and a half months, but on Monday, doctors put him on ventilator as his health deteriorated. Since then Virbhadra Singh was in an unconscious state and died on Thursday morning due to multi-organ failure. His body will be taken to his residence for the last glimpse.
family, children and education
Virbhadra Singh was born on June 23, 1934 in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. His father’s name was father Raja Padam Singh and his mother’s name was Mrs. Shanti Devi. He is married to Pratibha Singh. MLA from Shimla Rural Vikramaditya Singh is their only son and has 4 daughters, one of whom is named Aparajita Singh. Virbhadra Singh has received education up to post graduation.
Chief Minister’s tenure
Virbhadra Singh has been an MLA for 9 times and MP for 5 times. Virbhadra Singh was the Chief Minister from 8 April 1983 to 5 March 1990, 3 December 1993 – 24 March 1998, 6 March 2003 to 30 December 2007, 25 December 2012 to 27 December 2017.
- Virbhadra Singh was elected to the third Lok Sabha in 1962.
- After this he was again elected to the fourth Lok Sabha in 1967.
- Once again elected to the fifth Lok Sabha in 1972.
- Elected to the Seventh Lok Sabha in 1980.
- Became a member of the Indian delegation to the United Nations General Assembly in 1976.
- From December 1976 to March 1977, he was appointed as the Deputy Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation in the Government of India.
- He remained the President of the Pradesh Congress Committee in 1977, 1979 and 1980.
- Elected to the State Legislative Assembly on 20 December 2012 from Shimla Rural Constituency.
- From September 1982 to April 1983, he became the Minister of Industry in the Government of India.
- Elected to the State Legislative Assembly in October 1983 and 1985 from Jubbal-Kotkhai Assembly Constituency.
- Elected to the State Legislative Assembly from Rohru constituency in 1990, 1993, 1998, 2003 and 2007.
- Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh from 8 April 1983 to 5 March 1990.
- Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh from December 1993 to March 23, 1998.
- Virbhadra Singh was once again the Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh from 6 March 2003 to 29 December 2007.
- Leader of the Opposition of Himachal Pradesh in the State Legislative Assembly from March 1998 to March 2003.
- Became the sixth Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh on 25 December 2012.
- In 2009 he was elected from Mandi parliamentary constituency from Himachal Pradesh.
- Virbhadra Singh was the Minister of Steel in the Government of India from May 2009 to January 2011.
- He served as the Minister of Small and Medium Enterprises in the Government of India from 19 January 2011 to June 2012.
- Became President of Himachal Pradesh Congress Committee from 26 August 2012.
- Virbhadra Singh has been an MLA 9 times, Chief Minister 6 times and an MP in the Lok Sabha for 5 times.
There is more news…